Cars/Drivers Licence

When you move to Switzerland, you should apply for a Swiss driver's licence.  You can do this at the "Strassenverkehrsamt ",  the Cantonal Department for Motor Vehicles. You have 12 months from your date of arrival in the country to change your licence, but it is recommended that you do so earlier. You need to go to the department personally with a picture, your permit and your current valid driver's licence.

You can also register your car at the Strassenverkehrsamt.    Usually, the garage where you bought your car will offer this service and take care of it for you. You will need a certificate of proof from your insurer which shows that you have  liability insurance. There are different types of insurance coverage.  Ask your insurance company or contact us and we'll use our extensive connections to find the best quote. 

Your car will need a "Autobahn Vignette" (highway tag which is placed on the window of your car) for unlimited use on the highways.  This can be bought at local post offices and petrol stations and is valid for one calendar year at a cost of CHF 40.


Contact for the Cantonal Department for Motor Vehicles:

Strassenverkehrsamt des Kantons Zürich
Uetlibergstrasse 301
Postfach 8479
8036 Zürich

Tel: 058 811 30 00

Opening times:
Monday, Tuesday 7h15 - 17h00
Wednesday - Friday 7h15 - 16h00 (website only in German)


Speed limits, alcohol limit

Standard speed limits are 50 kph in built-up areas, 80 kph on country roads and 120 kph on motorways. A special speed limit of 30 kph is being introduced in an increasing number of residential districts. In some streets, so called meeting zones have been defined, where the speed limite is just 20 km/h. In these roads, pedestrians have a general right of way. 
The alcohol limit for drivers is 0.5 o/oo.

Mobility, car sharing

Car sharing is the clever way to be mobile. Whenever you want – without the commitments that owning your own car entails. Mobility has 2'600 vehicles waiting for you at 1'300 stations throughout Switzerland. Around the clock and on a self-service basis. For more information visit the Mobility website here

Parking and Blue Zones

There are two types of public parking spaces: white zones and blue zones. White zone parking spaces have to be paid for at the parking meter. The allowed time is specified on the parking meter, it can vary according to the location of the parking. For the blue zone parking spaces you need a parking disc, on which you will have to indicate the time of arrival. You can get a disc at the post offices or police stations.